FRONTEIRA AND ALORNA

The Foundation of the Houses of Fonteira and Alorna is a non-profit private institution of public utility. The mission of this Foundation is the preservation and study of the material and immaterial heritage of the noble Houses of Fronteira and Alorna, as well as the promotion of initiatives aiming at fostering research, artistic creation, and cultural education.

FOUNDER

The Foundation of the Houses of Fonteira and Alorna was established by Dom Fernando Mascarenhas (1945-2014) in 1987. Dom Fernando Mascarenhas was the descendant of three noble Houses (Fronteira, Alorna and Távora) and the heir of several noble titles, including 12th Marquis of Fronteira, 10th Marquis of Alorna and 13th Earl of Torre. In his own words, the decision of making his property available to the public and to scientific research was made “in the respect of the historical tradition of his Family” and of his wish to “enrich the Portuguese cultural and historical heritage“.

Upon the initiative of Dom Fernando Mascarenhas, the Foundation of the Houses of Fonteira and Alorna – recognized as a Public Utility institution in 1991 – has celebrated partnerships with most Portuguese Universities, hosted research projects on Arts and Humanities, and opened its doors to numerous cultural activities. After his death, the cultural program of the Foundation has kept the same dynamism, thanks to the support of his successor, Dom José Mascarenhas, and the warm reception of the public.

FAMILY HISTORY

The family name Mascarenhas is of toponymic origin. It comes from the location Mascarenhas, situated in the judicial district of Mirandela. The first Mascarenhas of whom there is notice is the “Sire of Mascarenhas”, who lived during the reign of King Sancho I. There is not, however, a clear link between Sire of Mascarenhas and the present-day Mascarenhas family.

 

The first individual documented using this family name was Martim Vaz de Mascarenhas, a citizen of Évora and a nobleman, to whom King Fernando I gave an estate in 1373. His great-grandson Fernão Martins de Mascarenhas, was Captain of Ginetes for kings João II and Manuel I, and has received from the latter, in 1496, the right to be treated by Dom. Dom Fernando Mascarenhas, who was Fernão Martins Mascarenhas’ grandson, established, along with his wife, the Morgadio of Torre das Várzeas (today Torre das Vargens) in 1574. His grandson, of the same name, was the 1st Earl of Torre, by interest and estate. He received his title by decree of King Filipe III of Portugal dated July 26, 1638. His great grandson, Dom João de Mascarenhas, who became the 1st Marquis of Fronteira, received it by decree of King Pedro II (during his Regency) dated January 7, 1670.

Coat of Arms

The Coat of arms consists of three gold bands on a red background. Crest: a rampant lion in red, with open mouth, armed and in gold.

 

Name

The family name Mascarenhas is of toponymic origin. It comes from the location Mascarenhas, situated in the judicial district of Mirandela. The first Mascarenhas of whom there is notice is the “Sire of Mascarenhas”, who lived during the reign of King Sancho I. There is not, however, a clear link between Sire of Mascarenhas and the present-day Mascarenhas family.

 

Martim Vaz de Mascarenhas is the first documented individual to use the surname; he was a citizen of Évora and a nobleman. King Fernando I gave him the Enxarrama estate, at the edge of that town, having granted privileges to the estate in 1373.

 

His son, Fernão Martim de Mascarenhas, was a nobleman of the House of Infant João, son of King João I. King Duarte gave him the Albacotim estate in July 19, 1433. During the reign of Afonso V, he became Commander of the Order of Santiago and there were descendants from his marriage with Filipa.

 

Nuno Mascarenhas, firstborn son of Fernão Martim de Mascarenhas married Catarina de Ataíde and was Commander of Almodôvar, Mouguelas, Montel and Roliça.

 

D. Fernão Martins Mascarenhas was his firstborn son. He was Captain of Ginetes for King João II and King Manuel I. The latter granted him the right to be called Dom in 1496 and the right to bear a square flag. He was Commander of Mértola and Almodôvar, Alcaide-Mor de Montemor-o-Novo, and Alcácer do Sal, Lord of Lavre and Estefa. He fought in the Battle of Toro (1476) next to Prince João. In 1488, he was covered in glory on an expedition to Morocco. In 1495, he was one of the few to witness the death of King João II, in Alvor. He was first married to Violante da Cunha, daughter of the 1st Earl of Avranches, with whom he had no descendants. He later married Violante Henriques, daughter of Fernão da Silveira, Governor of the House of Suplicação. Their descendants received numerous titles, namely the ones designated in the panel of the eastern wall of the Knights’ Lake of the Fronteira Palace where it reads “TITLES THAT WILL FLOURISH FROM THIS DISTINGUISHED BRANCH”: Earl of Santa Cruz (03-10-1593), Earl of Óbidos (before 1640), Earl of Torre (26-07-1638), Earl of Coculim (03-05-1666), Marquis of Fronteira (07-01-1670), Marquis of Montalvão (29-08-1639), Earl of Sabugal (20-02-1582), Earl of Serém (18-04-1643), Earl of Castelo Novo (1628), Earl of Palma (30-03-1654) and Earl of Vila da Horta (previous title granted by King Filipe II, later replaced by Earl of Santa Cruz – see above).      

 

D. Manuel Mascarenhas was the 4th son of Dom Fernão and the branches of Earl of Torres, Marquis of Fronteira and Earl of Coculim descend from him. As the Commander of Rosmaninhal, he took part in the seizing of Azamor in 1515, where he became known for his deeds as “the one with the slicing sword”. He was Governor and Captain-General of Arzila from 1538 to 1545. He married Leonor de Sousa Palha, heiress of Francisco Palha, Lord of Goucharia and Chantas, and Maria de Sousa.

 

D. Fernando Mascarenhas was the firstborn son of Dom Manuel Mascarenhas. Commander of Rosmaninhal, 4th Lord of Goucharia and Chantas, established the Morgadio da Torre das Várzeas (today Torre das Vargens) with his wife in 1574, part of King Sebastião’s Council. He died on August 14, 1578 in the Battle of Alcácer Kibir. He married Filipa da Costa (also known as D. Filipa da Silva), daughter of Dom Gil Eanes da Costa, King João III’s ambassador for the Emperor Carlos V, and Joana da Silva.

 

D. Manuel Mascarenhas was the firstborn son of Dom Fernando Mascarenhas. Commander of Rosmaninhal, 5th Lord of Goucharia and Chantas, was part of King Sebastião’s Council. He was wounded and taken captive in the Battle of Alcácer Kibir (1578) but was later rescued. He married Francisca, daughter of Dom Nuno Manoel, second Lord of Atalaia and Tancos and Alcaide-Mor of Mourão, and Joana de Ataíde, daughter of the 1st Earl of Castanheira. He died on March 15, 1612.

D. Fernando Mascarenhas, firstborn son of Dom Manuel Mascarenhas and Francisca, was 6th Lord of Goucharia and Chantas, Commander of Torre de Fonte da Arcada, Carrazedo, and Rosmaninhal in
the Order of Christ, 1st Earl of Torre, by interest and estate, by letter from July 26, 1638. He was also Governor and Captain-General of Ceuta and Tânger, Governor and Captain-General of Brazil (1639-1640), and General of the maritime and terrestrial fleets of Portugal and Castile. He was sent to the
recovery Pernambuco, then under Dutch possession, and was defeated on a maritime battle by Admiral Willem Corneliszoon Loos. He fought against adverse winds for about two months until he was forced to move north of Recife. He was then faced with a Dutch fleet of 35 ships that left that town between the 12 and 17 of January 1640, off Paraíba’s shore, and fought four battles, constantly pushed northward by the winds. Those battles resulted in the Dutch losing four ships, sunk by canon fire, and the Portuguese losing one battleship, along with two merchant ships. On January 19 the Earl of Torre boarded a ship bound Northeast in order to gather other vessels that had gone off course. Due to this, the Dutch thought he was returning to Europe and decided to go back to Recife, as they were lacking ammunition and water. Dom Fernando was kept at Fort S. Julião da Barra and stripped of his honors, that were later reinstated by King João IV, and during his reign Dom Fernando Mascarenhas was President of the Senate of the Lisbon Council from 1647-1650 and a member of the State and War Councils. He died on August 9, 1651. He married Maria de Noronha, daughter of Dom Luís da Silveira, 5th Lord of Sarzedas, and of Joana de Lima, and sister to the 1st Earl of Sarzedas.

 

D. Manuel Mascarenhas, firstborn son of Dom Fernando, took part in the Restoration War, and was murdered by Diogo de Eça on February 7, 1649 because he found him at home talking with his sister and Dom Manuel refused to marry her immediately.

 

D. João Mascarenhas, brother of Dom Manuel, and second born son of Dom Fernando Mascarenhas and Maria de Noronha, was born on July 18, 1633, in Lisbon. He was the 7th Lord of Goucharia and Chantas, Lord of the Morgados of Coculim and Verodá in India, Commander of Santiago da Fonte da Arcada, S. Nicolau de Carrazedo, of Rosmaninhal, S. João de Castelão, S. Martinho de Cambres, and S. Martinho de Pindo, all in the Order of Christ. He was a member of King Pedro II’s State and War Councils, Colonel General in the provinces of Estremadura and Minho, Cavalry General in the province of Alentejo and Grand-Prior of Crato in the Order of S. João de Malta. He was the 2nd Earl of Torre, by interest and estate, and the 1st Marquis of Fronteira by letter from the Regent and future King Pedro II on January 7, 1670. Besides actively taking part in the Restoration War, he was a supporter and one of the main protégés of the Prince Regent Pedro, future King Pedro II, on his pursuit for his brother’s Afonso VI’s throne. There was a poem written about Dom João Mascarenhas in a pamphlet (an anonymous text posted in a public space with satirical expressions against the government or an important figure):

 

“If the Prince wishes to govern

In a satisfactory manner

He will shut São João in the Tower (Torre)

And the Tower (Torre) in Gião”.

              

This is a reference to Tower (Torre) of Belém and to the Fort of S. Julião da Barra, both used as prisons. In 1657 he went to the province of Alentejo, as a Colonel. He was then Colonel-General of the province of Minho, and went back to Alentejo as Cavalry General, taking part in the 1662 campaign. He was Governor of Campo Maior and was in Badajoz, and took part in the Valença de Alcântara enterprise, rescue of Mourão,  battle of Canal in 1663, in the aid of Évora. He also fought in the battle of Linhas de Elvas, Ameixial and Montes Claros. Once the war with Spain was over, he was appointed Colonel-General of the court in the province of Estremadura, inspector of the Treasury, member of the State and War Council and Gentleman of Prince Regent Pedro’s Council. On July 19, 1651, he married Madalena de Castro, daughter of the 2nd Earl of
Penaguião, and of Joana de Castro, who was the daughter of the 4th Earl of Atouguia that died on September 10, 1673. Dom João Mascarenhas and his wife Madalena de Castro were responsible for the construction of the Fronteira Palace, located near Monsanto in S. Domingos de Benfica. Dom João Mascarenhas died on September 16, 1681.

 

D. Fernando Mascarenhas, firstborn son of Dom João Mascarenhas, was the 3rd Earl of Torre, by interest and estate,  2nd Marquis of Fronteira, 8th Lord of Morgados da Goucharia e das Chantas, recipient of the stewardship of Faro, Commander of Santiago de Torres Vedras in the Patriarchate of Lisbon, S. Nicolau de Carrazedo and S. Miguel de Linhares in the Archbishopric of Braga, Fonte da Arcada in the Diocese of Porto, Rosmaninhal in the Diocese of Guarda, patron of the Monastery of S. Domingos da Serra, the Dominican Order and Nossa Senhora da Conceição of Torre das Vargens, headquarter of his county. He was born on December 4, 1655. He was Governor and Captain-General of the kingdom of Algarve, Colonel-General and Governor of the Province of Beira, Governor of arms of the province of Alentejo, the State Council of King João V, president of Desembargo do Paço, one of the first four censors of the Academia Real de História and its president. He oversaw Navy trades. He joined the Marquis of Minas in his expedition to Spain during its Succession War. He was also Inspector of the Treasury and main Butler of Queen Maria of Austria. He left numerous historical works that were published in the document collection of the Royal Academy. He married Joana Leonor de Toledo e Meneses, daughter of the 7th Earls of Atouguia, that died on April 12, 1737.

 

D. Francisco Mascarenhas, brother of Dom Fernando Mascarenhas, was the heir of Morgados de Coculim e Verodá in India, established by Dom Filipe Mascarenhas. King Pedro II, while he was still Regent, granted
him the title of Earl of Coculim by letter on June 3, 1676.

 

D. João José Mascarenhas, son of Fernando Mascarenhas and Joana Leonor de Toledo e Meneses, 2nd Marquises of Fronteira, was born on February 19, 1679 and died on April 12, 1737. He was the 3rd Marquis of Fronteira and the 4th Earl of Torre. He was also a lieutenant-coronel and served with distinction in campaigns in Africa and Brazil. He was married on August 13, 1713 to Helena Josefa de Lancastre, daughter of the 4th Earls of Vila Nova de Portimão.

 

D. Fernando José Mascarenhas, firstborn son of João José, was born on August 16, 1717 and died on August 14th 1765. He was the 4th Marquis of Fronteira, 5th Earl of Torre, and 5th Earl of Coculim. He had six commendations in the Order of Christ and was Captain of horses in court, a deputy in the Council of Três Estados and inspector for the Queen Mariana Vitória. On September 10, 1761 he was ordered to leave the Aveiro court and from there he went to Guarda, by order of the Marquis of Pombal. He married his cousin Ana de Lancastre, on October 6, 1737, daughter of the 5th Earls of Vila Nova de Portimão, granddaughter, on the mother’s side, of the 3rd Marquises of Abrantes and great granddaughter of the 1st Duke of Cadaval. She died during childbirth and her only daughter died within a few months.

 

D. José Luís Mascarenhas was born on March 14, 1721 and died on March 25, 1799. He was brother of Dom Fernando José Mascarenhas. He was 6th Earl of Torre 5th Marquis of Fronteira, 6th Earl of Coculim. He was a canon at Sé de Lisboa but because his brother died and left no heirs, he renounced with the approval of King José I and the ecclesiastical authorities and was given the title of Marquis of Fronteira by decree on March 21, 1769. He inherited the commendations, lordships and properties of his ancestors, and was part of Queen Maria I’s council and hunter for Princess Maria Francisca Benedita. There is a French coach from the 18th century with his coat of arms in the Museu dos Coches (Coaches Museum). Dom José Luís Mascarenhas was responsible for the construction of the new wing at the Fronteira Palace in the 18th century, as well as the new stucco decoration in the upper walls and ceilings of the house. He was married on September 30 (or February – José C. N.) 1771 to Mariana Josefa de Vasconcelos e Sousa, who was the daughter of the 1st
Marquises of Castelo Melhor born on March 6, 1750 and died on September 7, 1796.

 

D. João José Luís Mascarenhas Barreto was born on January 13, 1778, died on February 24, 1806,and was the only son of Dom José Luís Mascarenhas. He succeeded his father and was also hunter for Princess Maria Francisca Benedita, cavalry Captain, 6th Marquis of Fronteira, 7th Earl of Torre and Coculim. He was married on September 10, (or November, JCN) 1799 to Leonor Benedita de Oyenhausen e Almeida. She was the
firstborn daughter of the Earl of Oyenhausen and of the 4th Marchioness of Alorna and 8th Countess of Assumar. She was born in Porto on September 30, 1776 and died on October 18, 1850. She did not inherit
her mother’s titles, of whom she was heiress, as there were no firstborn sons alive nor with descendants.

 

D. José Trasimundo Mascarenhas Barreto was born on January 4, 1802 and died on February 19, 1881. He was the firstborn son of João José Luís Mascarenhas Barreto, 7th Marquis of Fronteira, 5th Marquis of Alorna, 8th Earl of Torre and Coculim, 9th Earl of Assumar. He started as a cadet on Infantry 4 on May 11, 1809 and was promoted to Alferéz on Infantry I on December 18, 1820. On the brink of the Liberal Revolution of 1820 he became Aide-de-camp for General Bernardo Sepúlveda and shortly after he went on to Cavalry. When “Vila-francada” happened, he was removed from Court and sent to the Torres Novas garrison. With a new
uprising attempt on April 30, 1824, he was in prison, first in Torre de Belém and then in Peniche’s square. He obtained permission to leave the kingdom with his wife, and only returned in 1826 after the Constitution was approved. He was promoted to Lieutenant on July 9, 1827 and during the Regency of Princess
Isabel Maria he always followed the Earl of Vila Flor. He took ownership of his position as Peer of the Realm on February 5, 1828. With King Miguel’s arrival, the persecutions against him doubled, which made him emigrate with his family. He was in Paris at the time of the Belle Isle expedition, so the government of King
Miguel included him in the accused, processing him, and seizing his possessions. When it was known he was not part of the expedition, the accusation was lifted but José Trazimundo said, in Journal des Débats in Paris, that he did not participate only because he was sick and that to him the only legitimate sovereign was Quenn Maria II, which led to the second seizure of his goods. He then joined King Pedro’s newly made army in Terceira, and, as aide of Earl of Vila Flor, he disembarked on Mindelo and was part of the siege of Porto, having also accompanied him in the expedition to Algarve to come to Lisbon. He was part of many actions in the campaign, amongst them the Asseiceira battle, where he received the rank of official of Torre-e-Espada. The sword he used is displayed in the Palace and on its sheath are engraved the different actions he was a part of. After the campaign, he oversaw the 3rd squad of Lanceiros I. When the Chamber of Peers of the Realm met for the the first time, he was one of the 13 members. When this chamber was dissolved, as part of the September revolution, he was elected as a deputy for Lisbon in the Constituent Assembly, and during “Setembrismo” he was a deputy for Brangança. Partisan of Costa Cabral, he was nominated by his government as Lisbon’s civil governor in 1846, in Maria da Fonte’s rebellion, where he remained until 1851. In that year he was entrusted by Marshal Saldanha with organizing the Voluntary Corps of Lisbon. When Regeneration happened, he quit his positions. He was promoted to Brigadier on July 10, 1851 and retired as field marshal. In 1869, he was object of an honorable decree by Sá da Bandeira. On July 15, 1867, by Royal Charter, he served as the Kingdom’s Constable, at the oath ceremony of the future King Fernando II, as Regent. He was chosen as the main Butler for Queen D. Estefânia when she married King Pedro V, a job he kept until the Queen’s death. He was also chosen as the main Butler for Queen Maria Pia, when she married King Luís. He was the honorary inspector for the Royal House, Knight for his services on the battle of Ponte Ferreira, Official by his services on the battle of Asseiceira, and Grand cross of Torre-e-Espada; o
f Read Eagle of Prussia; of S. Gregório Magno, of the Holy See; of Albert, the Valiant of Saxony; of Carlos III, of Spain; of S.
Maurício and of S. Lazarus, in Sardinia; and of Rosa, of Brazil; honored with the medals of Campanhas da Liberdade, algorithm 9 and with the military medals of Good Services and Exemplary Behaviour. He left the important Memórias do Marquês de Fronteira e Alornadictated by himself in 1861, reviewed and coordinated by Ernesto de Campos de Andrada, Imprensa da Universidade, Coimbra, 1926-1932.; there is a reprinted facsimile edition.
Imprensa Nacional – Casa da Moeda. 1986. He was married on February 14, 1821, to Maria Constança da Câmara, who was born on June 14, 1801 and died on September 11, 1860, Dame in the Order of Santa Isabel and maid of honor of the Queens D. Maria II, Estefânia and Maria Pia, daughter of the Lord of Ilhas Desertas, morgadios of Taipa and Regalados, Luís Gonçalves da Câmara Coutinho and his wife, Maria de Noronha (from the House of Arcos). According to José Cassiano Neves, King Luís I wanted to give
him the title of Duke but the Marquis would have said to him that “if he had served his country, those services were already paid”.    
    

                                               

D. Maria Mascarenhas Barreto was born on May 27, 1822 and died on April 30, 1914. As the only daughter of Dom José Trazimundo, she was the 8th Marchioness of Fronteira, 6th Marchioness of Alorna, 9th Countess of Torre and Coculim, and 10th Countess of Assumar. She was maid of honor for the Queens Estefânia and Maria Pia. She was married on May 12, 1856 to João Pedro de Morais Sarmento, 2nd Baron of Torre de Moncorvo and by marriage, 8th Marquis of Fronteira, 6th Marquis of Alorna and 9th Earl of Torre who
was born in Copenhagen on December 27, 1829 and died on January 10, 1803. Because there was no offspring, the succession of the House went to the firstborn son of Dom Carlos Mascarenhas.

 

D. Carlos Mascarenhas, second son of the 6th Marquises of Fronteira, was born on April 2, 1803 and died on May 3, 1861. Distinguished officer of the Cavalry in which he reached the post of General, he stood out during the Civil War, was Commander of the Guarda Municipal de Lisboa and later of the regiment of Cavalry of Lanceiros, aide de camp of Duke da Terceira, and official to the orders of the Duke of Bragança, Dom Pedro. He was Grand Cross of the Avis Order, of King Carlos III of Spain, and of Albert the Valiant from Saxony, Commander and official of Torre-e-Espada, honored three times in the battlefield in Spain in defense of Queen Isabel II’s throne, in the battles of Valmoseda, Arlaban, Conchas, and Arminon. He was Peer of the Realm, gentleman of the council and aide de camp of King Pedro V, and invited to be Vice Roy of India, when he was 31, which he declined. He did not marry but he had three legitimated children with Maria Luísa Falco Barata Feio, others having died in their childhood. He left the representation of the house to his surviving firstborn son, with the death of the 8th Marchioness of Alorna, who left no descendants and whose belongings were left to her first cousin, Leonor Maria de Assis Mascarenhas. Leonor Maria Assis Mascarenhas was married to António José de Ávila, 2nd Marquis of Ávila and Bolama, who was born on November 24, 1853 and died on February 17, 1923. Since Leonor Maria did not have any descendants she bequeathed the Fronteira Palace and the Torre estate, in full, to the firstborn son of her nephew’s firstborn son, Dom José Mascarenhas, 11th Earl of Torre. The heir was Dom Fernando José Fernandes Costa Mascarenhas, 13th Earl of Torre, by interest and estate, the establisher of the Foundation of the Houses of Fronteira and Alorna.

 

D. José Mascarenhas was born on August 14, 1856 and died on January 26, 1930, without ever using any title from his House. He was married on January 26, 1899 to Carlota do Sacramento Pinto, daughter of
João Pinto and Luísa Antónia Pinto.

 

D. José Maria Mascarenhas, firstborn sonof Dom José and 11th Earl of Torre, by permission of King Manuel II when he was in exile. He was born on November 1882 and died on April 9, 1944. He was involved in several attempts to restore monarchy, along with Henrique de Paiva Couceiro. Due to these attempts he was in prison as well as in exile, with his family, between 1914 and 1918 in Saint-Jean-de-Luz, France, where one of his daughters was born. He was married in June 25, 1908 to Julieta Ofélia da Serra Penalva, daughter of Ezequiel Augusto de Sousa Penalva and his wife Júlia Garcia Moreira da Serra.

 

D. Fernando Penalva Mascarenhas was born on October 18, 1910 and died on August 5, 1956, in a car crash in Spain (Barajas). He used the title Marquis of Fronteira and equally represented the titles of Marquis of Alorna, Earl of Torre, of Coculim and of Assumar. He was Cabo de Forcados in the Group Forcados Amadores de Santarém from 1945 to 1948, and later a brilliant sports car driver. From his career the following trophies stand out: 2nd in general category (with Jorge de Mello e Faro) at Monte Carlo Rally in 1951, 1st of his category in I Porto Rally, 2nd in the III Tour of Portugal, 2nd in the general rank in the National Championship of Slope in 1952, winner of II Aveiro Rally, 1st in his category in II Porto Rally, 1st in III Circuit de Vila do Conde, 10th in the Great Prize of Monaco, 2nd in the XV Circuit de Vila Real, in the VI International Lisbon Rally, in the IV Circuit de Vila do Conde and in the national Championship of Slope, 1st in Mountain Rally in 1953, 4th in III Great Prize of Portugal and 1st in the Cup of the City of Lisbon in 1954, 4th in the Circuit of Gávea, in Brazil, 2nd in the general rank in the I Circuit of Tangier in 1955, winner of the 1st group of Sope of Penha, winner, for the 3rd consecutive time, of the Cup of the City of Lisbon, National Champion in the Great Tourism group. He was married on July 7, 1938 to Maria Margarida de Sousa Canavarro de Meneses
Fernandes Costa, born in São Tomé on February 24, 1916, daughter of Francisco José de Meneses Fernandes Costa and his wife Maria Margarida de Sousa Canavarro.

 

D. Fernando José Fernandes Costa Mascarenhas, was born on April 17, 1945 and died on November 12, 2014. He was the 12th Marquis of Fronteira, 10th Marquis of Alorna, 13th Earl of Torre and Coculim, 14th Earl of Assumar and genealogical representative, recognized by permit of the Nobility Council on December 15,
1992, of the titles of Marquis of Távora, Earl of São João da Pesqueira and Earl of Alvor, of the Portuguese representation of the title of Earl of Oyenhausen-Gravenburg in Austria. Coat of Arms fully Mascarenhas, Marquis crown, crest with a red rampant lion. He was a Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy by the University of Lisbon and went to the Universities of Coimbra and Nanterre. He was also an Assistant and later a Guest Assistant at the University of Évora between 1979 and 1988. He was rewarded with the Order of Liberty in 1994. He was married for the first time on November 11, 1967, to  Isabel Cristina Cardigos dos Reis and a second time on August 13, 1984 with Mafalda Osório Miquelino, leaving no descendants; he was divorced on May 23, 2002. In 1989, he established the Fundação das Casas de Fronteira e Alorna (Foudation of the Houses of Fronteira and Alorna) where he was a co-founder along with his 2nd wife, Mafalda Osório Miquelino, his mother, Maria Margarida Canavarro Fernandes Costa and his stepfather Frederico Henrique George. He was the first President of the Foundation’s Directive Board.                                             

D. Filipe Mascarenhas, younger son of Dom Manuel Mascarenhas and Francisca, brother of the 1st Earl of Torre, was the 26th Viceroy of India from 1645 to 1651. Since he had no offspring he left the Morgado of Coculim to the second son of his older brother.

 

D. João Mascarenhas, second son of the 1st Earl of Torre, but his heir, by death of his older brother, 2nd Morgado of Coculim. (See above, 1st Marquis of Fronteira).

 

D. Francisco Mascarenhas, second son of the 1st Marquises of Fronteira, was born in 1662. He was 3rd Morgado and 1st Earl of Coculim (Note: this is the spelling used in the letter that grants the title even though the place it refers to in India is spelled Cuncolim), by letter from D. Pedro II (still regent then) on May 3, 1676. He was part of D. Pedro II’s Council, Lord of Coculim and Verodá in the State of India, commander of S. João da Castelães, of S. Martinho de Cambre and S. Martinho de Pina, in the Order of Christ. He was part of the famous armada that left Lisbon’s harbor in 1682 to lead the Duke of Sabóia, future husband of Lady D. Isabel, and was one of the people that stood out the most. He was horse master at the Court. He was a man of letters, particularly remarkable as a Latinist. He married his cousin, Maria Josefa de Noronha, daughter of the 4th Earl of Vidigueira and 2nd Marquis of Niza, who died on April 22, 1731.

 

D. Filipe Mascarenhas, firstborn son of the 1st Earls of Coculim, was born in June 1680. He was the 2nd Earl of Coculim, part of the Council of El-Rey, deputy of Junta dos Três Estados, Mestre de Camp of Infantry, having served as such in the War of the Spanish Succession, where he was part of the assault on Valencia. He was 2nd Earl of Coculim. He was married on October 10, 1701 to Catarina Úrsula de Lancastre, daughter of the 2nd Earls of Sarzedas and later died on May 13, 1735.

 

D. Francisco Mascarenhas, son of the 2nd Earls of Coculim, was born on August 9, 1702. He was the 3rd Earl of the same title. He was a Battle General, governor of Arms in Trás-os-Montes, Gentleman of Infant Dom António’s Chamber and commanded one of the regiments of the Court’s garrison as a Coronel. He was married on September 24, 1719 to Teresa de Lancastre, daughter of the 4th Earls of Vila Nova de Portimão.

 

 

D. Joaquim Mascarenhas was born on April 15, 1732. He was a Court Cavalry soldier and was promoted to Captain in 1752. He was the 4th Earl of Coculim and this title was granted to him by King José in 1750. He died without offspring and the title of Earl of Coculim was passed on to the firstborn branch of the Marquises of Fronteira.                   

Gaio, Manuel Felgueiras, Nobiliário das Famílias de Portugal, 17 volumes, Braga, 1938-1942.

Neves, José Cassiano Neves, Jardins e Palácio dos Marqueses de Fronteira, 4ª edição Lisboa, Althum, 2015.

Norton, Manuel Artur Norton, D. Pedro Miguel de Almeida Portugal, Agência Geral do Ultramar, Lisboa, 1967.

Zuquete, Afonso Eduardo Martins, Nobreza de Portugal e do Brasil, Edições Zairol, Lisboa, 2000.

© 2019 Todos direitos reservados